1. This CD must be installed before it can be used, even if you already have the Progeny Family Explorer™ program installed on your computer. Close any/all programs that are running, before proceeding with installation.
2. Insert the ‘Acadian-Cajun Family Trees” CD into the CD-ROM drive.
3. Click on START, then RUN.
4. Type d:\setup.exe (substitute the appropriate letter for your CD-ROM drive) and then click OK.
5. Follow the instructions displayed on the screen to complete the installation. The Progeny Family Explorer™ program files, NOT THE DATA, will be copies to your computer hard drive.
6. While generally not a good idea, you can cancel the installation at any time, by clicking on the CANCEL button.
Vista and Windows-7
IMPORTANT: The Acadian-Cajun Family Trees was originally only compatible with Windows 95, 98, ME and NT. However, Progeny Genealogy have issued an upgrade for their Family Explorer Program and the CD can now be used with Vista and Windows-7. You can download the FREE upgrade from Progeny Genealogy.
|Thanks for the info on the free download of the Vista compatible program which allows me to play the “Acadian-Cajun Family Trees” CD on the Vista as well as on the XP computer.
It took a little doing since the program would not download on my Vista laptop. Each time I clicked on the “download…” prompt, the internet would shut down. I had to download on the XP, then copy to a CD and in turn load the CD to the Vista computer. It was worth the effort; It now works fine on Vista and I am now able to use my original “Acadian-Cajun ….” CD on the Vista laptop.
Using the Progeny Family Explorer™ Program
1. Be sure to first insert the Acadian-Cajun Family Trees CD into your CD-ROM drive.
2. To start the Program, click on the Progeny Family Explorer™ icon (or shortcut) in the program group you selected at installation time – default program group is “Progeny”.
3. OPEN: The Acadian-Cajun Family Trees database will automatically be opened for you.
4. NAME LIST: The entire list of names is presented in alphabetical order by surname. You can choose to display this list of names with personal identification numbers (PIN), birth and death dates, spouses, or parents. You can also browse up-and-down this list by using standard Windows scrolling functions.
5. GO TO: You can enter a person’s full name, surname only, PIN or Reference (Ref) Number to find someone in the Name Index.
6. SEARCH: For a more sophisticated search of the CD, click on the SEARCH button to search on events, dates, place names or notes. For example, you can look for all people with the same name, who were born in a specific year or were born in a certain place. (Performance Note: Progeny Family Explorer™ uses several different indexes to ensure your search is as fast as possible. However, the speed of the search depends upon many factors including the total number of records in the database, the speed of your computer and especially the speed of your CD-ROM drive).
7. VIEWS: Once you find someone of interest, you can immediately display their entire family group by clicking on the ‘Family’ view button. You can also display their family tree by clicking on the ‘Ancestor’ or ‘Descendants’ view button. Navigate through the family tree by clicking on any name you see.
8. SOURCES: A ‘Sources’ button appears when a source citation exists for an individual and/or their life events. In such instances, click on the ‘Sources’ button to view any source citation.
9. REPORTS: A variety of reports and charts are available to print a paper copy of the information you have found on the CD.
10. FAMILY GROUP RECORD: Printed version of family group view.
11. KINSHIP: All relatives of a selected individuals.
12. ANCESTOR CHART: Tree diagram of individual’s ancestors.
13. FAN CHART: A unique ‘fan’ presentation of an ancestor chart.
14: AHNENTAFEL: An individual’s ancestors in book format.
15. DESCENDANT CHART: Tree diagram of individual’s descendants.
16. OUTLINE: Outline report (indented) of descendants.
17. REGISTER: An individual’s descendants in book format.
18. GEDCOM EXPORT: This feature allows you to export selected portions of the data on this CD to a GEDCOM format file. Entire person records, including events, notes and sources are exported in GEDCOM version 5.4 format. You can choose one or more generations of ancestors or descendants for a given individual/subject. The GEDCOM file you create can then be used for import/merge with other genealogy data-bases.
19. SAVE SCREEN IMAGE: You can save and ancestor or descendant view (when displayed on screen) to a .BMP file, which you can then use with other programs for pasting into a document, or simply printing in colour. Click on ‘Save Screen Image’ under FILE on the menu bar.
20. MATCH LIST: You can print a list of all people in the database who match a particular search criteria. Perform your search, then simply click on the ‘Print’ button in the Match List dialogue.
21. HELP: Click HELP on the menu bar to view the extensive on-line help available within Progeny Family Explorer™ and learn more about how to use all the features of this program.
A (very) few customers have reported receiving one of the following ‘error message’ when attempting to use the CD on Windows XP…
a) 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem path to the program that you are trying to start or install config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.
b) 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem path to the program that you are trying to start or install C:WinntSystem32config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.
c) 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem path to the program that you are trying to start or install C:WindowsSystem32Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.
This is usually caused by a corrupted file which can easily be corrected by downloading and running the following free “Windows Repair” program…